Most people don’t give a second thought to their heating and air conditioning systems. They set the thermostat and expect the system will do what it has to do when the time comes. Usually, it does. But a lot of the time the system is actually working harder than it needs to due to poor or non-existent maintenance practices. The thing is, it doesn’t take that much effort to keep things running smoothly.
Keep These Tips in Mind and Your Heating and Air Conditioning System Will Thank You
Just like changing the oil in your car, HVAC systems require regular maintenance for optimal performance. With numerous moving parts, proper upkeep is essential to prevent deterioration. Whether you have an old or new furnace, periodic maintenance, and tune-ups are ideal. By enrolling in air conditioning maintenance and tune-ups, you can avoid costly AC repairs and ensure smooth operation. Make these tips part of your routine to keep your HVAC system problem-free year-round.
- Change the Air Filter – When the filter gets clogged with dust and debris the system struggles to get enough air and has to work many times harder than it normally would. This is not only bad for the system today but will reduce its lifespan as well. Check the air filter once a month and change it as needed. Not doing so could cost you dearly in the long run.
- Have a Programmable Thermostat Installed – If you’re away from the house at predictable times every day, install a programmable thermostat and let the system make temperature adjustments automatically. It’s easier on the system and gives you one less thing to have to think about as you’re heading out the door to a big meeting.
- Check for Open Windows and Doors – Whenever the heating or air conditioning is running you should do a quick check of the house to make sure all windows and exterior doors are closed. Open windows and doors are one of the main reasons HVAC systems get overworked and break down. While you’re at it you can close the doors to the basement and attic as well.
- Check for Obstructions – Sometimes someone will close a register or put a laundry hamper or books or something else in front of the register and forget about it. This causes the system to have to work harder than normal in order to keep that room at the right temperature. Do periodic checks of all vents and registers to make sure they’re open and clear of obstructions.
- Schedule a Yearly Service Visit – A short visit by the HVAC technician once a year can keep things clean and clear. They’ll do a thorough cleaning and fix any minor issues that might have otherwise developed into major problems. One short visit per year can extend the life of your system and ensure your warranty obligations are met as well. This should be the foundation of your heating and air conditioning maintenance plan.
If your heating and air conditioning system is more than 10 years old you should consider replacing it with a new energy-efficient system. In the meantime, take these tips to heart and take the pressure off your HVAC system, which has to work hard enough as it is in the extreme climate of Toronto.
For More Expert Heating and Cooling Advice Contact Our Pros
Contact the pros at Toronto Heating and Air Conditioning at (647) 955-8625 to schedule yearly service checks of your Toronto HVAC system or for any problem, you’re having with your furnace or air conditioner. We help keep the homeowners of the GTA warm in the winter and cool in the summer with timely and affordable service and repair work. Don’t let molehills become mountains. If you think you might have a problem with your system, give us a call and we’ll send someone straight out to check on it for you.