The HVAC system is arguably the most important system in the house. If the furnace and air conditioner aren’t working correctly you’ll freeze in the winter and sweat your way through many a summer night. Modern HVAC systems tend to be so efficient and reliable that homeowners often forget that they need regular maintenance just the same as a car or any other piece of precision machinery. There are myriad reasons for keeping your heating and air conditioning system operating at peak efficiency including:
● To reduce utility bills in both summer and winter.
● To extend the life of the system.
● To ensure healthy air is circulating in the home.
● To improve system efficiency.
● To avoid the need for emergency repairs.
In this post, we’ll look at a number of HVAC maintenance tasks Toronto homeowners should never ignore.
Always Perform These Heating and Air Conditioning Maintenance Tasks
Just as you wouldn’t drive your car for years without changing the oil so you shouldn’t run your HVAC system indefinitely without giving it a proper check-up. The following maintenance tasks are particularly important and should never be neglected.
● Change the air filter: You don’t need to be an HVAC technician to understand the importance of clean filters. Air filters exist to remove pollutants from the air that circulates through the house. A dirty filter will recirculate dust, pet dander, and other pollutants back through the house and cause the system to have to work harder to push air through the clogged filter. Always ask your Toronto furnace repair contractor to replace them while performing periodic service and maintenance.
● Clean the AC coils: Air conditioning coils should be clean and properly maintained or they’ll force the system to work harder than it’s designed to. Overworking the system this way will eventually lead to breakdowns and expensive air conditioning system repair work. While servicing/tuning up your air conditioning (AC) units Always ensure cleaning the coils and fins on an outdoor unit is easy to do using a standard garden hose and nylon brush. Just be sure not to succumb to the temptation to use a pressure wash.
● Make sure your HVAC units are free of obstructions: You’ll hear it a lot when it comes to HVAC maintenance but keeping all components free of obstructions is crucial to their efficient performance. While getting the air conditioning system installed ensure outdoor units should be free of plants, bushes, tree branches, and other obstructions while basement units should never have boxes stacked against them or things hanging or leaning on them that could cause a restriction in airflow.
● Same for the vents throughout the house: Take a weekly stroll through the house looking for things that may have been placed in front of registers. Blocked vents will make it harder for the system to heat or cool the whole house effectively and having some vents out of commission can also lead to an imbalance that results in the heating and air conditioning system working harder than it needs to.
● In addition: Don’t heat or cool the house when no one is home. New thermostats are available that can be accessed through your smartphone so if you forgot to turn down the heat before you left you can do it from your office or your vacation hideaway. Also, make sure to schedule yearly HVAC system maintenance. The warranty on your furnace or air conditioner may be nullified if you don’t.
The best way to ensure a long life for your HVAC system is to make sure it doesn’t ever need to work harder than necessary. The above tips are all intended to relieve stress on the system in order to prolong its effective life. For more information on the proper maintenance of your heating and air conditioning system give the pros at Toronto heating and air conditioning a call today.