It’s been something of a nightly ritual for decades for mom or dad to turn down the thermostat before turning in for the night. It’s also been quite the unwanted tradition for them to wake up in the morning and realize the heat was on full blast all night, or to come home from work and find the thermostat wasn’t turned down before everyone left in the morning. Thankfully, a solution to the problem of unintentional energy waste exists in the form of the programmable thermostat.
No Furnace Installation is Complete Without a Programmable Thermostat
While programmable thermostats have technically been around for some time in recent years they’ve become far more sophisticated and easy to use. If you’re about to undergo furnace installation in your Toronto home you should make sure the contractor installs a programmable thermostat as well. Here’s why.
- Adaptability – Today’s programmable thermostats know no limits with regards to the number of different settings you can program into them. In the past programmable thermostats were considered not such a great match for families where members were coming and going at different hours. But because contemporary thermostats will accept a virtually unlimited number of programming commands the temperature can be precisely controlled to make sure everyone is comfortable, regardless of their schedule.
- Savings – While a new furnace installation will save you money on your energy bills, creating a heating program for your home can reduce those same bills by a further 10-15%. Sure, your family might be able to achieve similar savings by adjusting the thermostat manually if everyone in the house is diligent; but why would you want to create all that work for everyone when the programmable thermostat can handle it for you?
- Relevant information – Today’s programmable thermostats provide more than temperature data. They also display relevant information about the state of other components in your HVAC system. For example: your thermostat can provide a reminder that it’s time to change the filter in the furnace, that a scheduled maintenance check is due shortly or warn you if it detects problems in the system.
- Interconnectedness – Some of today’s programmable thermostats can be connected to a home network that allows you to access them through a web browser from anywhere on the planet. Perhaps you left for vacation but think you might have forgotten to reprogram your thermostat for the time you’ll be gone. No problem. Access the thermostat through the Internet and reprogram it from your hotel room half a world away.
- Zone heating – Many homeowners today are opting for a zoned heating system for their home where different areas of the house are heated at different temperatures at different times. If you’d like to have this sort of ultra-precise heating system in your home it will require a programmable thermostat. Standard thermostats are simply not advanced enough to accommodate the necessary programming a zone system requires.
Programmable thermostats have come a long way since the days of the damper flapper and wind up clocks. The latest versions are sophisticated pieces of high-tech, digital equipment that can help you achieve precise control over the environment in all parts of your home while saving you money in the process.
If you’d like to learn more about programmable thermostats and furnace installation, or if you have any other HVAC-related questions, give Toronto Heating and Air Conditioning Company a call and talk to one of our highly trained HVAC experts. We’re certain that once you learn more about the extraordinary control – as well as savings – you can achieve with a programmable thermostat you’ll see the wisdom of having one put in during your furnace installation.