If you are not happy with the performance of your HVAC system, you may have considered replacing some or all of the components in order to rectify the problem. Before you do so, take a look at the 7 common mistakes people make when using heating and cooling systems in Toronto. It may be that you can improve the performance of your system without spending thousands of dollars on installing a new air conditioner unit or replacing the old furnace, simply by changing the way that you use it.
Don’t Make These Heating and Air Conditioning Mistakes
If you want to maximize the efficiency of your existing HVAC system, whether in a residential or commercial property, be sure to avoid making the following common mistakes.
- Failing to Check Refrigerant Levels in Air-Con Appliances – If the refrigerant levels in your air-conditioning equipment should fall, it can put stress on the compressor and lead to inefficient cooling. For this reason, it is important to have the levels checked on a regular basis and any leaks fixed as soon as possible. Ideally, enroll in a periodic service program for your air conditioning units to avoid hefty Air Conditioner repair bills.
- Closing Vents – Some homeowners close air vents in rooms that they do not use on a regular basis, in the mistaken belief that doing so will reduce the amount of energy they use to cool their homes. However, closing vents can result in an imbalance of air pressure in your cooling system, resulting in a reduction rather than an improvement in overall efficiency.
- Not Changing Air Filters on a Regular Basis – The furnace air filters can become clogged over time, leading to a significant reduction in efficiency. This applies to filters in both heating and cooling appliances so it is important to make sure that they are replaced on a regular basis. Failure to change air filters can lead to a drop in air quality as well as efficiency issues.
- Obstructing Air Registers – Placing furniture in front of air registers is a mistake that many homeowners in Toronto and other parts of the country have made in the past. Blocking the airflow of your heating and air conditioning system can seriously compromise its efficiency and make it difficult to achieve the desired air temperature in all seasons. Walk around your home or business premises today and make sure you are not guilty of making this classic mistake.
- Heating and Cooling an Empty Property – If you are away from your home all day, there is no point in heating or cooling it to a comfortable temperature because you will just be wasting money on unnecessary energy consumption. Don’t allow indoor temperatures to approach freezing in the winter or become excessively high in the summer because this could lead to other problems, but do consider lowering or raising the temperature on your thermostat by a few degrees when you are not at home.
- Not Having Faults Repaired Immediately – If you notice your heating and air conditioning equipment making a funny noise or failing to do its job properly, you should call a technician to take a lot at it sooner rather than later. Most HVAC faults only get worse over time and can lead to more serious problems if not attended to promptly.
- Hiring Incompetent Contractors – if you are going to spend money having HVAC components repaired or replaced, make sure that you choose a reputable contractor to perform the necessary work or you could end up using more energy than you are at the moment.
For advice on new heating and air conditioning equipment, or to obtain a quotation for furnace maintenance and repair services, please do not hesitate to call us at (647) 955-8625.